Frequently asked questions

In order to help you, we have prepared some answers to the most frequently asked questions (FAQs) about drones, aerial photography and Airborne Vision's approach to your project. If there's anything we don't cover here, feel free to contact us and we'll be pleased to help.

Are you insured?

Yes, we are covered to £5M public Liability. We fly only in conjunction with our CAA Operations Manual, which ensures we fly within our insurance limitations.

Are you qualified?

Yes, we are; both Pilots are fully RUSTA qualified. One pilot, a former RAF Engineering Officer, was instrumental in establishing RUSTA’s CAA approved training course and is now a RUSTA UAS Flight Assessor. Another pilot was a RAF Photographer for 12 years followed by working internationally with aerial photography and LiDAR. (Air to Ground/Structure Surveys)

How do you undertake any flight?

Initially, a survey of the location you give us is undertaken, using maps and on-line facilities. On arrival at the location, we will conduct a full assessment to confirm the information we already have and then check for any additional hazards or obstructions. We remain fully aware of all potential hazards throughout the flight, which includes people, animals and traffic. We will cordon off the area, if necessary.

What drone do you use?

We use the DJI Inspire 1 with a 4K 360° 3-axis gimbal-stabilised camera. If radio signal is lost or the pilot incapacitated in any way, the Inspire has a ‘Return to Home’ facility, which directs the UAV to perform a safe landing, returning to the point from where it took off.

How much does your service cost?

Every mission undertaken will be assessed on its individual requirements but our prices start at £250. In some instances, additional licences or extra work may be required. A 20% deposit is required at the time of booking.

What flying restrictions do you have?

We are unable to fly in wet weather conditions, mist or fog, or in winds (including gusts) over 20 knots (23 mph). We do not fly near power cables or transmission masts as they can affect control of the Drone. We require the land owner’s permission for any land we overfly. CAA flying restrictions on safe separation apply to people, animals and congested areas – see Terms and Conditions for further details.

Where can you fly?

Providing the conditions already stated are met, including CAA regulations (see Terms and Conditions) and our surveys and assessments are satisfactory, we will fly in most places, which can include, in certain circumstances, indoors. (Insurance considerations may apply)

Where will you fly?

Within the United Kingdom. We will fly in other Countries, provided all terms and conditions, and the flying legalities of the host country, can be met.

Can I fly the drone and film?

All Commercial UAV pilots must be fully CAA qualified and insured. If you are interested in becoming a Commercial UAV pilot yourself, please speak to us about RUSTA courses.

What happens if a flight has to be cancelled?

Please see cancellation policy in Terms and Conditions. We require seven full days’ notice of cancellation, or when a booking date needs amending.

© Copyright Airborne Vision Ltd. 2015